The question does not have an easy answer. Some people have conditions such that they must wear medically necessary contact lenses because they cannot get good vision with their glasses. Others wear contact lenses because they don’t like wearing their glasses or like the convenience of contact lenses. Here are some tips as they relate to your eyes:
- Most recently, the eyecare community has recommended that it is best to discontinue contact lenses for now-mainly to limit contact with your face that has been advised as a safety measure against the virus. One should wear their glasses if you tend to touch your face a lot when your contact lenses are in. If you continue to wear your contact lenses, then you must wear them correctly. If they are single use daily disposable contact lenses then you must throw them out after each use. If they are monthly or two-week lenses then you must remove them every night and disinfect them with the prescribed disinfectant. You should not sleep in your contact lenses unless you have been prescribed lenses specifically for that purpose.
- If you must wear your contact lenses, be sure to WASH YOUR HANDS IN WARM SOAPY WATER FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS BEFORE AND AFTER PUTTING TH CONTACTS IN OR REMOVING THEM.
- Be sure to let your contact lens case air dry during the day and wash your contact lens case with warm soapy water and rinse well and fill with your prescribed disinfectant before storing your lenses for the night.
- Disinfect your glasses by washing them in warm soapy water. Some viruses such as COVID-19 can remain on hard surfaces for hours to days, which can be transferred to spectacles wearers’ fingers and faces. This especially holds true for those over the age of 40, who may require reading glasses, which are put on and off several times per day.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes. We all do it. While it can be hard to break this natural habit, doing so will lower your risk of infection. If you feel an urge to itch or rub your eye or even to adjust your glasses, use a tissue instead of your fingers.
We at EYE VISION ASSOCIATES are open for emergency care three days a week but can be reached at 631-588-5100 for any questions or concerns anytime. If you need to order back up glasses or contact lenses, please give us a call. We look forward to “seeing” you in the near future. Stay healthy!